Watermelons - heat-loving plant. However, they are grown not only in the southern countries. In the middle latitudes, in order to get a big harvest, it is necessary to provide the berry with almost ideal conditions, but this is quite realizable. Growing watermelons in the open ground, the subtleties of variety selection and planting will be described below in the article.
How to choose a grade?
Variety is selected depending on the climate and local conditions. Hybrids develop very well in different climatic zones: "Honey Giant", "Skoryk", "Gift of the Sun", "Sugar Baby", "Prince Albert F1", "Sugar Kid", "Williams F1", "Spark". They ripen quickly and are not afraid of minor frosts.
In southern latitudes, you can use for planting varieties: "Ataman F1", "Spring Bush 334", "Volzhanin", "Astrakhan", "The Gift of Kholodov", "Jubilee", "Vostorg", "Chill", "Black Prince".
Where can I plant watermelons?Read also these articles.
- Rex Rabbits
- How to grow tomato seedlings at home
- Varieties of courgettes for open ground
Growing watermelons in open ground is possible only at certain places on the site.
Warm sunny place for planting warbos
- The main rule is the sun. Culture needs solar heat, light. In the shade a watermelon will not grow.
- Groundwater should be located at a considerable depth. Excess moisture will damage the roots, they will rot, and the plant will disappear.
- Type of land - light sandy or sandy. But this is the ideal. If this is not the case, you can pick up a less fastidious variety in this plan or provide frequent feeding, loosening.
- The acidity of the soil is 6.7-7.0 pH. In this regard, problems will be less, since the acidity can be "adjusted."
- The best precursors are wheat or alfalfa. If those did not previously grow on the site, then the place can be chosen any where last year melons and solanaceous trees did not grow.
How to prepare seeds and seedlings for planting in open ground?
Preparation of watermelon seeds for planting
Depending on the area in which watermelons are grown in open ground, they are planted with seeds or seedlings. The second option is applied in the northern and southern strip. Such a plant will get acclimatized much earlier, grow and produce fruits, therefore, before the first frost, you can harvest and even have time to recycle it.
If seeds are used for planting, it is necessary to warm them in the bag for 10 days before planting. Ideally, the temperature inside the package (if there is dry) should reach +55 degrees Celsius, and if it is wet, then +30 degrees. After 10 days, you need to fill the seeds with water for 30 minutes, the surfaced ones are thrown away, and the settled ones are filled with warm water (+50 degrees). When the water has cooled, it needs to be drained, and the seeds soak until the moment of spitting.
Preparation of watermelon seedlings for planting in the ground
2 days before sowing seeds, a solution of ash is made at the rate of 1 part ash and 2 parts water. While the solution is infused, the seeds are disinfected in a dark solution of potassium permanganate for 15 minutes. After that, they are soaked overnight in a prepared ash solution. The next morning the water is drained, the seeds are washed and dried.
Seedlings recommended to grow in peat pots. At the end of April a mixture of peat, humus and soil is poured in them in a ratio of 2: 1: 1. Seeds are soaked for 10 minutes in water (+50 degrees), then deepened 1 cm by grain into a glass and sprinkled with earth. In the room with seedlings should be no less than +25 degrees, otherwise the seeds do not hatch. Top dressings bring for strengthening of growth as required.
How to plant watermelons?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Bee pollen
- Variety of cabbage Megaton F1
- The content of bees in multicase hives
- Onion variety Sturon
Growing watermelons in open ground begins with the preparation of the soil. Land for watermelons is prepared in the fall, it is fertilized with manure (4 kg per 1 sq. M.). Watermelons do not tolerate fresh manure, and besides, it can lead to the formation of fungal diseases. And if the land is cultivated in November, over the winter manure will perepret and will not harm the culture.
Planting watermelon seedlings in the ground
Seeds are sown when soil temperature reaches +16 degrees. They are planted at a depth of 6 cm., Density - 10 seeds per 1 meter. It may seem that it is thick, but not all seeds will ascend, and if all of them can be planted. After planting, they are sprinkled with earth and watered with warm water. The first shoots can be expected in 1 week.
Seedlings in open ground planted 30 days after its growth in peat pots. At this point on the seedlings should be about 5 leaves. To reduce the stress during transplantation, hardening is performed a week before planting. In the afternoon, temperatures are reduced to +17 degrees, and at night to +15.
Seedlings are planted in individual holes - 8-10 cm depth. They first make compost, water. When planting, the root neck should peek out from the ground 1 cm, so that the hilling can be done later. The hole is covered with dry earth.
How to care for watermelons?
Removal of stepsons is a guarantee of a good harvest.
Growing watermelons in open ground implies regular care from the moment of sowing seeds or planting seedlings.
- When 5 leaves appear on a plant, it is tucked, so that the soil is as loose as possible.
- Weeds near the culture should not be. This is very important for several reasons. They prevent watermelons from growing, take most of the moisture, nutrients from the ground, but also can cause pests to the site or even block the sun from the berries (if they are high).
- Watering is not much, even mono say - not enough. During the ripening period, the more so, otherwise the taste will be watery.
- 2 weeks after planting, a solution of ammonium nitrate (20 g per bucket of water) is added to the ground. The second dressing is done when the flowers appear.
Watering watermelons in the garden
- After the fruit reaches a diameter of 10 cm, you need to pinch the main whip and remove the side shoots. In this case, all the forces of the plant will focus on the growth and development of the berries. The plant should be no more than 6 ovaries.
- So that the damp earth does not spoil the harvest, any non-rotting material is laid between the ground and the fruits.
- It is recommended from time to time to turn the watermelons. So they mature faster and evenly. However, this should be done carefully so as not to pick a berry.