A Sapphire pear is a columnar tree, which is distinguished not only by its compact size, but also by its high yield. The small size of the tree makes it possible to plant a lot of pears in a small area, while an ordinary tree would in itself require a lot of space. Pears of this variety have excellent taste and good preservation of fruits.
A columnar pear, the ancestor of the Sapphire variety, was discovered in England in the middle of the 19th century in old garden plantings. Its main differences are the absence of skeletal branches and short internodes. In appearance, the tree looks like a green column with fruits. Over time, the culture was improved, while the breeders focused their efforts on increasing yields while maintaining compactness. Several varieties were obtained from this tree, the most successful of which was Saphira.
A self-infertile pear, pollinators necessary
Saphira's columnar pear is today the oldest columnar variety. The tree grows up to 2 meters, but maybe less. Root system surface type. The leaves are simple in shape, green.Interesting! Because of the small height of the Sapphire pear trees, harvesting is very simple.
Fruits grow weighing up to 250-300 g. The form is simple, pear-shaped. Color yellow-green with a red spot on the south side. The flesh is creamy, with a high content of juice. The skin is thick, but not hard. The taste is sweet with a slight sourness. Calories 100 g of the product - 43 kcal.
Characteristics of Sapphire PearRead also these articles.
- Pig diseases
- Growing watermelons in the greenhouse
- Drip irrigation system
- Why do orchid leaves turn yellow?
The positive and negative aspects of a Sapphire pear are described in its characteristics.
Creamy pulp with a high content of juice
- A self-infested pear, for abundantly fruiting, pollinators are needed near.
- The first fruiting is observed for 2-3 years after planting the crop. The tree gives abundant crops up to 11 years. Then the yield begins to decline sharply. The tree, in general, lives up to 15 years, then it is necessary to replace it.
- There is immunity to some pear diseases (scab, bacterial burn, powdery mildew).
- The variety is suitable for transportation over long and short distances.
- Fruits possess commodity qualities.
- Resistance to frost down to -25 degrees.
- The taste of the fruit is sweet, pleasant.
- Productivity is high, up to 20 kg from each tree.
- The harvest is well kept.
The tree gives abundant crops up to 11 years
It is possible to grow a pear of Sapphire variety only in warm regions, with not cold winters, because this variety does not tolerate severe frosts. For planting, a sunny, well-lit area with fertile soil is chosen. It must be protected from one or several sides of a strong wind. The ground should be well hydrated, but drained. For planting selected annual seedlings. They quickly take root. Seedlings are picked whole, with a good bark, not damaged.Important! On poor soil, the yield of this variety is low. Pears on a tree will ripen little, their size will decrease, and the quality of taste may suffer.
A sunny, well-lit area with fertile soil is selected for planting.
The pit for planting is made 80 cm deep and about 60-70 cm in diameter. It is necessary to make a distance of half a meter between seedlings of Saphir pear so that they do not interfere with each other's development. The aisle width is 1.5-2 meters. When harvesting the pit, the excavated land is interfered with 1.5 buckets of humus and half a bucket of sand (if the ground is clay). You also need to mix in the ground superphosphate and potassium chloride in small quantities.
Before planting, the roots of the seedling are soaked in water for 6 hours. In the pit is a hill of mixed fertile land, and a garter peg is placed in it. A sapling is placed on a mound, the roots are spread out so that they do not bend over. Now you need to fill the pit with fertile land. When the pit is filled, the earth is compacted and watered. As water is added (2 buckets), the land will settle. It remains only to fill the required amount of land and tie the pear to the support.
Color yellow-green with a red spot on the south sideInteresting! In order for the crop to produce large yields, it is necessary to plant pollinators near it. Best of all, a colon-shaped Honey pear or varieties like the Pet of Yakovlev, Lada will be suitable as a pollinator. At 4 trees of Sapphire must have at least 1 pollinator.
Sapphire Pear CareWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Radish on the windowsill
- How to water the watermelons
- Five-Minute Blackcurrant Jam Recipes
- Bee packages and their types
With proper care, the sapphire pear-shaped pear can produce great yields. But if you neglect to care, fruiting and crop quality will decrease.
- Saphira pear is demanding for watering. It is necessary to make water in certain quantities so that the earth does not dry out and does not swamp. Mature trees are watered every 4 days, and during droughts - every 1-2 days.
- Weeding the root zone must be carried out carefully, because the root system is superficial and with a sharp hoe you can accidentally hook it.
Shelter needed for winter
- Fertilizers are applied as needed. In the early spring, nitrogen is added to the soil (about 50 g of urea under the tree), after a month another one is needed, the same additional nitrogen feed. In the middle of summer, it is applied to each stem of a half spoonful of superphosphate. In the fall, potash salt is added to the root zone.
- The traditional pruning of the prickly pear is not necessary, however, in time to pinch the side shoots, which can sometimes appear, are necessary.
- Before the onset of winter, planned whitewashing of trees is carried out. This is usually done in November. In the spring, in March or April, the procedure is repeated.
- Shelter needed for the winter. In winter, the root system may freeze due to its high location. So, the near-stem circle is mulched with peat, humus or a layer similar to mulch up to 30 cm. And the tree itself, while small, can be wrapped with a breathing insulating material.
Resistance to frost down to -25 degreesImportant! The first time a pear blooms, up to 4 ovaries are left on the tree in order to only try out the pear.
Pests and Diseases on Sapphire
Diseases and pests on the tree most often appear if the norms of agricultural engineering are not complied with. However, timely treatment allows for quick recovery of the culture and prevent the problem from getting worse.
- When a brown spot appears, which can be easily recognized by brown spots on the leaves, it is necessary to treat the plants with the preparation “HOM” or “Abigak-Peak”. Suitable and 1% solution of Bordeaux liquids.
- Gray rot is derived drugs "Skor" or "Raek." Recognize the disease can be on large spots on the leaves and the drying of the fruit.
- Of the pests of the columnar pear Saphira, the green pear-umbrella aphid, the pear-leaf gall midge, the moth and leaf weevil are the most harmful. In small quantities, they are not particularly dangerous, but a whole colony can literally destroy the tree, especially since this pear is small. To get rid of these pests will help drugs like "Kemifos", "Aktellika", "Iskra", "Fufanon," Kinmiksa "," Inta-Vir. "
Of the pests of the columnar pear Saphira, the green pear-umbrella aphid is the most harmful.Interesting! You can scare away pests by fumigating trees with smoke of smoldering straw.
Harvesting and processing
Crop ripening has been around since September. Productivity depends on soil fertility and the presence of pollinators near. Under the right conditions, 15-20 kg of fruit can be harvested from one tree. Harvested immediately after ripening, because it can overripe.Interesting! If the fruits do not collect for a long time, they will become very soft and lose their taste.
Harvested in proper conditions can be stored until December. Storage temperature within + 3 ... +5 degrees Celsius. The room should be medium humidity and good ventilation.
Under the right conditions, 15-20 kg of fruits can be harvested from a single tree.
The fruits are suitable for fresh use, making juice, jam, jam, jam. But keep in mind that in jam slices, pear splits, does not hold the form. You should not freeze this variety, because the pear will lose its taste and become watery, but you can dry the slices of Saphir pear.
Reviews of Saphira's Colliform Pear
About Sapphire variety is mostly positive reviews, but since it has a lot of negative points in cultivation, not everyone recommends it for cultivation in the garden.
- Ekaterina Drozdova: “Coloniform pears were bought with her husband more than 5 years ago. There are 5 fruit trees growing on our site now. Saphira’s pear is pleasant because it takes not much space and gives a decent harvest. Of course, its average resistance to diseases is not pleasing, but in principle, this is not a big problem, given the yield and taste of the fruit. "
- Valentin Sorokin: “Kolonovidnye varieties are good in their compactness. In a small area, they not only take up little space, but do not give much shade, as simple trees. However, they take on much worse - our tree survived only the third time. Sapphira needs constant fertilizing and watering, it also can not be processed from pests, otherwise even aphid will be able to destroy the culture - the tree is small, there is no need for a large colony! So there are many problems in leaving varieties, but if you plant a lot of trees, the harvest will be good reward. "
- Lera Osipova: “A Sapphire pear is a good option for a small garden, but for sale, as for me it is an unprofitable variety - too much work for 20 kg of crop. It is much easier to plant just a fruit pear, even if it is one, but it can produce really abundant crops. Our garden has two sapphire trees. The harvest goes only for food and processing. To taste it is not bad, but not perfect - the fruits need to be picked on time, otherwise they deteriorate quickly. "