There are several classifications, which divide the varieties of black currant. Thanks to this division, you can choose the best variety for growing without much difficulty. The article will describe the best varieties of black currant, their advantages, disadvantages, appearance, taste and other characteristics.
What are the characteristics of currant varieties classified?
Varieties of varieties of black currant are very many, if you count along with the hybrid, you get about 250, and even more! Therefore, for convenience, all species have been ordered. They are classified into several categories:
Photo currant varieties "Vigorous"
- the size;
- ripening period;
- disease resistance;
- amount of sugar;
- type of pollination.
It is important to note that black currant varieties have almost identical composition, the amount of vitamins and trace elements. Only the level of glucose is different. Therefore, the variety for planting is selected depending on the climate, personal preferences, soil, disease resistance, and so on.
Below we will consider three main classifications with a description of the best types of their advantages and disadvantages.
What are the best varieties of ripening?Read also these articles.
- Pig diseases
- Chinese silk chicken - breed characteristics
- Black Currant Exotica - variety description
- How to feed onions?
Early ripe varieties of currants ripen in early June. They are developing rapidly, they are not afraid of frost and sudden cold snaps, drafts. But for the full growth and development they need timely feeding, pruning, garter and so on.
At the beginning of June "Exotica" and "Overture" ripen. These are the earliest grades of black currant, and with that are universal. "Exotica" will be described in more detail below, that before the "Overture", this is a frost-resistant culture with a weight of berries up to 2 g. Up to 4 kg of product is collected from a bush.
By the middle of July, the "Curiosity", "Vigorous", "Little Prince", "Nara" are ripening. These varieties of black currant are resistant to cold and frost. The average size of the berries is 3 g, but the “Vigorous” also belongs to the large-fruited species, and the weight of its berries can reach 9.5 grams. Of these varieties, the most resistant to diseases - "Nara". She is not afraid of fungal infections and ticks.
What are the best large-fruited varieties?
Photos varieties "Venus"
Large-fruited varieties are popular for sale, but not all of them can be transported over long distances. In this case, the density and thickness of the skin is important. Fine-grained berries often rot even on the bush with frequent and heavy rains.
- "Vigorous" - has large, almost always round berries weighing 5-9.5 g each. The bush is strong, resistant to frost. Siberia is the birthplace of the plant and, oddly enough, the largest crop and the size of the berries are harvested in Siberia, and not in warm regions. Up to 10 kg of crop can be harvested from the bush. But he needs dressing and garter, as the branches may fall from the weight. Resistant to shipping.
- "Dobrynya" - quite a popular variety of currants, which can be grown in different regions of the world. Berries weighing 5.5-6.5 g. The yield is low - about 2-3 kg from a bush, but the berry is resistant to transportation. Of the merits can be identified immunity to powdery mildew. But before other pests and diseases, it is powerless, so it is recommended to timely process the bush. The disadvantage is the non-simultaneous ripening of the fruit.
- "Venus" gives large, round berries weighing up to 5.7 g each. Differs sweetness and pronounced aroma. The variety is excellent, but it is very difficult to transport it because of the thin skin. The fruiting season of the crop is stretched, so the berries can be harvested about 3-4 times per season. At the same time from one bush receive up to 6 kg of berries.
- "Exotic" - this grade of currant has the mass of advantages. Berries have a weight of from 3 to 5.5 g. About 3.5 kg are collected from a bush per season. The plant is frost-resistant, ripen at the same time, resistant to columnar rust and powdery mildew. However, it also has drawbacks: thin skin, rotting of ripe fruits in wet weather, vulnerability to certain diseases (Terry, Septoria, bud mite, anthracnose).
- "Gulliver" has berries weighing 2-3 g. Resistant to many diseases, pests, not afraid of low temperatures. Can be transported over long distances. The taste is pleasant, tasting score - 4.5 points.
- "Ariadne" - an early variety of currants, large berries, weighing 2.5 g. It bears good fruits for the first five years. Resistant to some diseases and pests (powdery mildew, winter-hardy, kidney mite, moth). Type of medium. The skin is thick, sweet and sour berry, well transported. From the bush you can collect 7-8 kg of currants.
- "Pearl" gives berries weighing 3-6 g. In the year from the bush to collect 2.8 kg of crop. Of the advantages, frost resistance of up to -39 degrees Celsius, resistance to drought, resistance to the kidney mite, possibility of transportation are noted. But seasoned gardeners warn that the plant is "capricious", requires increased attention, and fruiting does not last long.
These are the largest and most common varieties of black currant, which, if desired and properly cared for, successfully take root in most cases in different climatic zones.
|Our readers liked the articles: The best varieties of currants for Siberia //www.fermerok.info/sorta-smorodiny-dlya-sibiriCharacteristics and description of currants - Leningrad giant How to deal with currants pests folk remedies|
Sweet varieties of black currantWe recommend reading our other articles.
- What can not feed the rabbits
- Rabbits of breed White Giant
- How many bees live
- Strawberry Queen Elizabeth
Photos varieties "Gulliver"
Sweet black currants are usually planted for personal consumption and not for sale. Even sugar in jams and compotes, when using such varieties, you need to put less, and this proves their benefit once again.
Black currant varieties are considered sweet, in which the glucose level exceeds 10%. These include: "Excellent", "Nina", "Bagheera", "Triton", "Green Haze", "Selechenskaya". The first two have a glucose content higher than 11%, all others are within 10.1-10.8%. Only “Selechenskaya” has ripened early, others are middle-ripe.
Sweet currants are incredibly useful, but can damage a figure and a patient with diabetes at high doses. Therefore, it should be eaten in moderate doses. The taste of all the above varieties is sweet, pleasant. The berries are juicy, dark, rather large, at “Selechenskaya” reach 4 g. There are only four Frost-resistant - “Bagheera”, “Excellent”, “Triton” and “Selechenskaya”.
Among the other known types of sweet currants are the following varieties: "Lydia", "Solomon", "Kalinovka", "Princess", "Charm", "Minusinskaya sweet". They are less sweet than those listed above, but no less tasty.
It should be noted that whichever variety of black currant would not be chosen for the garden, garden or garden, it will yield high yields only for the first 7-10 years. Then productivity, the size of berries will be reduced and tastes can deteriorate. In order to ensure a stable, high-quality harvest for many years, branches 3 years old and more are cut off every year or every two years.